In 2016, Natasha Ednan-Laperouse bought a baguette from Pret a Manger. She checked for an allergy label, as Natasha had an allergy to sesame seeds. As there was no label on the baguette packaging, she believed it to be safe.
The baguette contained sesame seeds, causing Natasha to go into anaphylactic shock and resulting in her death. Natasha was just 15.
Pret a Manger had acted within the law, as labeling did not require to list Allergens on Pre-packed for Direct Sales (PPDS).
At Natasha’s inquest the Coroner, Dr. Sean Cummings stated:
“In my opinion, there is a risk that future deaths could occur unless action is taken.”
This led to a campaign resulting in The UK Food Information Amendment (Natasha’s Law) being passed in
In this module you will learn how to understand and apply Natasha’s Law.